Thursday, November 5, 2020

 Speculative Everything: Design, Fiction, and Social Dreaming 

 By Anthony Duane and Fiona Raby

 

2013

 

 

The authors discuss that the process of creating scene to reflect on the engagement contemporary viewers in exhibition space is experimentation of ideas that will the lead the viewer’s imagination into speculated spaces which could be real or unreal(pg 137). In the context of the speculative design prop, film was used an example because it has the capability to place the viewer within an imaginary space. Before I watch film, I already understand that the experience I would get in the film is not real, yet the film captures my consciousness which make me live within it and believe in the fiction with all its highest level of suspense and other aestheticized features. 


Film could be a virtual experience or a future space or a non-place. When I watch film, I tend to believe in the spaces in the scenes to exist, where I become the viewer who imagines the reality of the space. I have not physically experience but understand that it forms part of the world. This speculative design is inspirational because when I make art especially by transforming the found objects, it evolves my curiosity to understand that the sculpture is the original function of the transformed material. 

René Laloux’s “Fantastic Planet” 1973 

 

In this case of achieving experience, there is some sense of strangeness that is incorporated into the work which triggers the viewer consciousness to live closer and deeper into the work. The authors analyzed that photography is a good medium that unveil hidden realities in odd environments. 

 

Jasmima Cibic 
Ideologies of Display (Tyto alba), 2008, Lambda Print 120 cm x 120 cm

 

There are also constructed space where the authors talks about, as the ideologies of display. I find that very interesting in terms of the artist Jasmima Cibic's decision of engaging the viewer. In the picture Tyto alba, 2008, there is an owl in front you but and not only do you see the owl but also a constructed space with elegant abstract design which gives you a simultaneous experience within a single photograph.



No comments:

Post a Comment