Friday, September 27, 2019

#2

Explain how narrative (as discussed/defined in the reading) is apparent or identifiable in your actual work.

“The concept of ‘conversation’, telling jokes and joking, and constructing narratives of personal experience, ” such as Susan Stewart notes, is a significant part of my work. In large, I would not be able to have vulnerable conversations to create relationships in a community, without being able to relate to shared narratives. Ultimately, that is what I aim to highlight through photography, and video by capturing these delicate interviews of gender non-conforming individuals. To place importance towards these people’s narrative, I spend an hour before picking up a camera to talk and give mental/ emotional space to the struggles that surround being who you are versus who you are perceived in society. Asking questions to understand a person’s history is more important than the end result, it is the process of discovering narrative and how it relates to my own narrative. Which in turn helps me learn to be more vulnerable, and to make more meaningful art through that process.

Review the two videos discussing Powers of 10 listed on blog. Consider scale and Powers of 10 thinking as it relates to your own art production and methodology. What realms of Powers of 10 do you utilize most in your work? Offer upload images of actual works you have produced.

10 -1 to 10 -5 

I work with humans and myself, at a mostly surface level, but also internally to understand the external. Through the powers of ten everyone looks the same on the inside, the deeper you proceed under a scope, and I think that is relevant to some of the conceptual ideas I have, as well. As Susan Stewart mentions "the invention of a microscope, the mechanical eye can detect significant in a World the human eye is blind to, from exterior to interior."

No comments:

Post a Comment