Wednesday, September 18, 2019


Prompt 1

“Nostalgia’s longing for absolute presence in the face of a gap between signifier and signified reminds us that narrative is a signifying phenomenon made up of another signifying phenomenon: language means before narrative takes it up.” (Stewart, p24)

I had an aunt that lived in New York, and I was taken to Broadway shows as a child.  Broadway is something that is very nostalgic for me, and I’m sure it is for lots of people.  Half the shows on Broadway are steeped in nostalgia.  When I ran my own dinner show at the Funky Monkey Wine Company in downtown Orlando Florida, I offend performed nostalgic Broadway numbers, which in its self was nostalgic for me.  I used the narrative of timeless Broadway performances to create nostalgia.

    "I Don't Wanna Show Off No More", 06/07/2007, Performance



Not sculpture, but musical theater artist Michael Stewart, Mark Bramble, Harry Warren, Al Dubin, and Johnny Mercer are masters in their field.  They created a multi dimensional musical narrative rich in nostalgia called 42nd street.  


Here are two clips from one of my favorite cinema musicals, "The Wiz".  Screen play by Joel Schumacher, directed by Sidney Lumet, and many musical artist came together to reinvent a nostalgic classic, and created nostalgia from a different time period.  


No comments:

Post a Comment