Wednesday, October 2, 2019

SCALE

In the two videos I realized how scale was portrayed in terms of detail. He zoomed in several times so that the viewer sees the difference between being closer to a work or being in a distance. The use of large scale has become a sort medium for many contemporary artists such as Ibrahim Mahama. Yayoi Kusama, El Anatsui, Richard Serra and Subodh Gupta. My work is intentionally sometimes enlarged to articulate my obsession with the material. I also expect labor to be interpreted in my work as a form appreciation by the audience. With Ibrahim Mahama's jute sack installation above, the viewer is compelled to walk through the work to see the totality of it. Scale is also associated with the immediate space around the viewer, thus  the distance between the viewer and the work. In comparison, my work is not as large as that of Ibrahim and the viewer doesn't necessarily have to move around it, yet in front the installation makes one realize the size of his/her body. From a distance, it seems like painting but when you get closer to it, you see the details as old metals with patterns and holes in-between.

No comments:

Post a Comment